Monday, December 15, 2008

Hong Kong Egg Tarts 港 式 蛋 撻

This was my 3rd attempts on making egg tarts. For the first two times, i simply employed the muffin method for my crust where i creamed the butter and sugar till fluffy, then added in egg and flour to form a dough. I'm quite ok with this kind of crust but it's not my mum's cup of tea so she called for a more pastry-like crust.

Egg tarts in my first attempt

Therefore, this time i was using the standard method for the crust where the butter was mixed into the flour-sugar mixture with folks until the mixture resembles course crumbs with pea sizes of butter. Then the egg was mixed in bit by bit to form a dough.


As for the filling, fresh milk was used this time as I ran out of evaporated milk. Subsequently i increased the amount of sugar because fresh milk is less sweet than evaporated milk.

This was the result


The tarts were not well shaped as they were baked in muffin pan. The resulting crust was really a pastry-like crust and the filling was also surprisingly nice. However, there were comments that the filling tasted a bit bitter but i didn't really feel it. This might be due to the sugar which was not completely melted as the water i used was not really hot enough. I think making more egg tarts can make me figure out a solution for this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment