Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

A cake for mum- wish u a happy mother's day
I feel very bad when i unmould the sponge cake, the height of cake is out of my expectation (it is as short as me). While I was very sad looking at my bake, I burned the almond flakes (as dark as charcoal). The mother's day cake turned out to be very colorful (as like it is for small kids) because the colored chocolate rice is the only thing i could use to substitute the charcoal.Yap gave the idea to use orange, papaya and banana in decorating the cake. I laugh out on his stupid suggestion. I don't think I can get a presentable cake with these fruits. However, I decided at the last minute to use the orange because I ran out of idea (don't want to open a can of peach fruit just for 3 slices), and I think it works well isn't it? I have to admit creativity always start from a stupid idea :p
I use separate egg method for this sponge cake. The original recipe call for 3 eggs but i increased it to 4. The resulting cake was still too short for a 8 inch pan, so i think next time i'll use 6 eggs.
Sponge Cake Recipe (adapted from韋太烹饪教室)
Ingredients
4 eggs, sugar, 80g, flour 80g, corn oil 40g
Methods
1. Whisk egg whites till fluffy, add sugar in 2 batches and continue to whisk until stiff.
2. Add in egg yolks into egg whites mixture, mix with spatula.
3. Sift in flour and mix with spatula until even.
3. Add in corn oil and gently fold in gently until well blended.
4. 180c bake for 25 minutes.

3 comments:

Min said...

Wei, nice cake wo, how did you manage to get the smooth icing cream?

花 花 宇 宙 said...

To min: I think still a lot to be improved. For the technique applying cream, can go http://www.skybake.com/teaching.asp

Mindy said...

nice cake :)I still remember u made your first fruit cake in kuantan 2007 :)

Post a Comment