Friday, February 27, 2009

Happy birthday to me

Eventhough everyone laughed at me when i said i wana bake a cake for my own birthday, i still insist to do it myself as I really couldn't wait for other special occasion to make a cake with cream. Thinking of having a easy cake as my 'virgin cake', I made a black forest cake.

A simple chocolate sponge cake


Get things ready like a professional - revolving cake stand and spatula (such a cute cake stand right?)




The final product. As expected, the cake was not so good looking. The most daunting part must be the shaping of the cake with whipping cream. The piping of decorative swirls was also not easy and i ended up getting ugly and unevenly spaced swirls on the cake. Equally exhausting was the shaving of the chocolate to get beautiful chocolate curls which supposed to be the main decorating ingredient in a black forest cake. I tried so hard and finally i gave up. I could't find any reason but blame the old and blunt vegetable peeler.

Yap said the outer presentation of the cake is better than those sell in Indian bakery shop. Indian? Why? Isn't it ironic?

3 comments:

Min said...

Actually it's a good idea also, to bake a birthday cake for ourself, next year I should try also, your cake looked great also. I haven't tried on icing cake before, maybe should give it a try next time :)

Anonymous said...

U always say u bake virgin cake, virgin so many times? haha

花 花 宇 宙 said...

to mindy
this is really my virgin cake (icing type). Last time boon peow one we bought the cake from cake shop then put the cream on it only. Believe me, it's virgin ... haha

Post a Comment